- Jacks Surfboards: Newport Beach, Corona del Mar, Huntington Beach, Dana Point
- Almond Surfboards & Designs: Newport Beach
- Surfside Surf Shop: Costa Mesa
- Giddings Surfboards: Newport Beach
- Bruce Jones Surfboards: Sunset Beach
- Baltierra Custom Surfboards: Costa Mesa
- Frog House: Newport Beach
- Sakal Surf Shop: Huntington Beach
- Russell Surfboards: Newport Beach
- Hobie Surf Shop: Corona del Mar
- Main Street Surf Shop: Newport Beach
- Harbour Surf Boards: Seal Beach
- Estrada Surfboards: Costa Mesa
- International Surfing Museum: Huntington Beach
- Green Room: Newport Beach
- HSS Surf Shop: Huntington Beach
- Rip Curl Surf Shop: Huntington Beach
- Balistar Surf Boards: Huntington Beach
- Wave Tools Custom Surf Boards: Costa Mesa
- Dano Surf Boards: Costa Mesa
- Dick Brewer Surf Boards: Kauai, Hawaii
- Hanalei Surf Shop: Kauai
- Chuck Dent Surf Boards: Huntington Beach
- Surf Tech Surf Boards: Newport Beach
- O'neil Suits: Santa Cruz
- Quicksilver: Cosat Mesa
- Volcom: Costa Mesa
- Sea Specs Surf Goggles: seaspecs.com
- Jetty Girl Online Surf Magazine
- California Travel & Tourism Commission (visitcalifornia.com)
- Rack/n/Road: Costa Mesa
- Gong Surf Shop: Bali
Newport Surf School is endorsed as the exclusive private surf school for the following hotels: Newport Marriott, Newport Coast Villas, Islands, Ritz Carlton, Balboa Bay Club Resort, Newport Beach Hotel, Irvine Spectrum Hotels Monarch Bay Laguna Beach, Hilton Huntington Beach and many others between Los Angeles and San Diego.
Exhibitions and Commercials: Matt has been featured on The Travel Channel, Bravo Channel, Sony Pictures Pixel, MTV, Disney Channel and requested appearances on various commercials.
Matt has been requested as a Guest Speaker and charity events for the following: Corona del Mar High School Occupational Program, Newport Harbor, H.B. High, Newport Elementary, How to Start a Business: Local High Schools and Colleges in the Southern California area, and Job Centers for Instructors.
Magazine & Newspaper article interviews for the following: Successful and Single Magazine, The Los Angeles Times, The Daily Pilot, Coast Magazine, Five-Star Magazine, Orange Coast Magazine, Register.
Matt is a Newport Beach, California native where he attended Newport Elementary and Ensign Middle School. After graduating from Corona del Mar High School in 1977. Matt left mid year from C.d.M. H.S. and was immediately accepted at St. Mary’s College of California for 1 year then transferred to Chaminade College of Honolulu, Hawaii where he majored in Business, Political Science and completed his studies and received a degree in education.
Matt is a pure "Soul Surfer" and competed in the late 70’s collegiate and professional levels in California and Hawaii. Matt's notoriety was pure world class talent when surfing, noticed by top surfing professional photographers who were contracted by numerous surfing magazines taking pictures of Matt at well known world class surf spots. As a result, Matt was featured in numerous surf magazines, exposition films and newspaper articles.
Matt started teaching twenty-seven years ago by word of mouth. To his surprise, the surf school took off so he designed a technical approach with attention to detail with his signature curriculum courses for those who are serious to learn how to surf and bring their surf skills to the next level. His connections of knowing the best surfers, shapers, shop owners and many other top end surf industry giants only added to his vision to create a private professional surf school like no other. Matt pioneered the first surf school of its kind twenty seven years ago with his top professional surf trainers to accomplish his vision of transforming every student into competent surfers. Matt’s curriculum programs from beginner to advanced covers tips on safety, wave knowledge, meteorology, ocean training, and guidance on appropriate custom boards and equipment to complete the process for all students.
Through the years of teaching 1000s of protégées how to surf correctly and with solid foundations buying all the correct customized boards and gear, Matt prides himself in teaching those who are not into taking any shortcuts but rather focuses on those who are dedicated as well as he is to the refining the sport of surfing. Matt has not ever lost his passion to keep surfing number one as a priority keeping dedicated to his life long dream of continuing to have time to catch it when it's firing and going off!
|Matt in Bali
Matt's passion is to pass on the 27 years of teaching and 47 years of surfing experience to his protégées for the next generations to come.
Matt's focus is to keep his edge in competitive surfing while emphasizing surfing as an individual sport and art form creating a fun soulful "spiritual experience" as surfing was meant to be.